A Tim Nicholls-led Liberal National Government will implement a Container Deposit Scheme to clean up Queensland and better protect our environment.
The Problem

While Labor attempts to paint itself as the party that cares for the environment, its record shows a party big on rhetoric, but doing little in the way of real, workable policies that help protect our environment.

Labor has been slow to follow the lead of the other states on a container deposit scheme to reduce litter.

Container deposit schemes have been tried and tested in over 40 jurisdictions around the world, including South Australia since 1977 and the Northern Territory since 2012.

The National Litter Index shows Queensland has the worst litter in Australia with 72 items per 1000 m2 – 41 per cent higher than the national average.

In states where a container deposit scheme has been introduced, more than 80 per cent of consumers return containers and redeem deposits while the remaining 20 per cent of unredeemed deposits help pay for the system to operate or are claimed by others.

Our Record

The LNP is committed to protecting and cleaning-up local areas. In government, the LNP implemented the $12 million Everyone’s Environment program to help community groups clean-up local waterways, parks and bushlands.

Our commitment to a container deposit scheme is the next step in protecting our environment right here at home

Our Real Plan

A Tim Nicholls-led LNP Government will implement a workable container deposit scheme that refunds 10 cents for aluminium, glass and plastic drink containers returned for recycling either at ‘reverse vending’ machines or designated collection centres.

This will not only reduce litter and clean up our environment but also has the potential to create hundreds of jobs in Queensland’s recycling sector.

Local charities, community groups and sporting clubs will also benefit from collecting containers and returning them. It’s estimated community groups could claim over $25 million from deposits under the scheme.

In the time leading up to the next election, Labor should investigate partnering with New South Wales which has announced that a container deposit scheme will be implemented in New South Wales by 1 December 2017. If Labor won’t, the LNP will implement our scheme if elected.

The LNP is committed to cleaning-up Queensland and better protecting our unique environment, not just for the health of our plants and wildlife, but also for the enjoyment of the growing number of tourists to our great state.

Frequently Asked Questions

What will the scheme include?
The scheme will include containers from 150ml to 3L (aluminium, glass and plastic) and will include a collection system via ‘reverse vending’ machines or designated collection centres.

The scheme would work similar to the New South Wales model and has the same exclusions, for example, wine or spirits bottles, wine casks or cardboard.

Why is this needed?
The Keep Australia Beautiful National Litter Index shows Queensland has the highest litter incidence in Australia – 41 per cent higher than the national average. The most littered item by volume is drink cans and bottles. Queensland uses over 1.6 billion bottles and cans every year but recycling rates are low, generally less than 40 per cent.

How much will the deposit be?
It’s proposed the container deposit scheme will mirror that operating in South Australia where plastic, glass and aluminium drink and beverage containers have a 10 cent deposit, redeemable on return. The proposed New South Wales scheme will also use a 10 cent deposit model.

How much litter will a container deposit scheme stop?
Queensland can expect container litter to fall by up to 60 per cent and create hundreds of new jobs in recycling. It’s estimated community groups could claim over $25 million from deposits and handling fees and create hundreds of new jobs.

How much litter will a container deposit scheme stop?
Queensland can expect container litter to fall by up to 60 per cent and create hundreds of new jobs in recycling. It’s estimated community groups could claim over $25 million from deposits and handling fees and create hundreds of new jobs.

Has this worked in other states?
In States with container deposit schemes, more than 80 per cent of consumers redeem the deposit and return containers. The remaining 20 per cent of unredeemed deposits pay for the system or are claimed by others. In South Australia for example, 12 per cent of items in recycling bins are containers, giving councils the opportunity to redeem deposits.

Create Jobs

Create Jobs and Better Manage Finances
More Info

Stronger Families

Build Stronger Families
More Info

Communities

Provide Safe and Liveable Communities
More Info

Roads, Bridges & Dams

Build Roads, Brisges and Dams
More Info

Better Government

Deliver Better Government
More Info